Thursday, December 16, 2004

Oh wow. So you write something and then before you can hit the delete key, it's published. It's out there, and you can read over and over again about your a. lack of dating skills and b. fear of death. Nice. But I'd be going against the rules I set out for myself when I started this whole thing if I deleted what I wrote. So I'm stuck with the whole world (or the handful of people who read this) knowing how lame I truly am. But in the new spirit of "LIG" (let it go), I will and allow for the fact that I am not as cool or as detached or as together, I might have wanted to appear to the world at large--and in that instance I might not have been fooling anyone anyway, so it's really not that much of a loss, right? Okay, moving on.

But I guess that's what this is all about--fear. Our fear of being human. We always are consumed with it, even if we try not to act like it. Yes, I am very scared of dying. Of being the friend that has left the group, to be talked about in the past tense, and after a week of intense crying to be an afterthought on holidays, and anniversaries of birthdays and deathdays. The moments in between where you may have been a thought in someone's head when you were alive, you no longer are. You're no longer an active participant in anyone's life, and because you're alive to know you're going to be forgotten when you're gone, it's a scary thought. Not that I think about this all the time, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind on more than one occasion.

Okay, more fear. The fear of actually caring. I feel that I have this pattern of having guys fall really hard for me, only to then have them turn around and coldly leave. Often with no explanation. So, I'm always left with the "what did I do wrong" "what can I do differently" and "what the hell is wrong with me." I'm tired of all this. It's so exhausting to be in a relationship, to fall for someone and then to have them decide to move on (regardless of the fact that this is normal and human and how life actually progresses). See because caring can lead to getting hurt, and I am just done with getting hurt. I'm done with not knowing what to say when, what to do when, worrying about if I'm too aggressive, too shy, saying the wrong thing, doing the wrong thing and all that other stuff that comes with it. I'm done with getting hurt and disappointed, because I feel as if I have enough to last me a lifetime. But I guess you can't be in a relationship, or a semi-relationship, or a casual hookup that takes place at 4 a.m. drunk and tired, without the possibility of getting hurt. So, quite a dilemma. I hate monday morning quarterbacking about my weekend and where it went wrong, but I guess it's better than recapping all the t.v. shows I watched. I don't know which I'm more afraid of--dying alone or analyzing alone.

No comments: