Thursday, May 13, 2004

Cliches become a shorthand for people when you become sick. While some are helpful (though I'm at a loss right now for which ones actually don't make me want to scream) there are those, such as "Every cloud has a silver lining" that should remain unsaid. Some other favorites that people ought to not say *although they have:

1. This too shall pass
2. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger
3. Time heals all wounds
4. Everything happens for a reason
5. Turn that frown upside down and let a smile be your umbrella
6. Only the good die young
7. Life's a bitch and then you die
8. Anything you need, just ask
9. What goes around, comes around

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that come to mind. I also hated it when people were like, "You have to be positive." ALL THE TIME. I know that it's important to keep a good attitude, but there are going to be times when the world is just overwhelming. You're going to cry. So many people were telling me to be strong, not get upset, and so on and then I would actually feel guilty for crying and started to count how many times I cried. I was proud for not getting upset. As if this is a contest of who can handle it better. Some people would be like, "don't be self-pitying" if I lamented about my appeareance or what not. Okay, if there's ever going to be a time when a little, I didn't say a lot, of self-pity is going to be okay, now is about that time. A lot of people don't realize that they're doing it, they think that they are being a good influence. But they wind up invalidating your feelings or making you feel worse. Then you start to not want to talk about things in front of them. I felt that I was depressing people or angering them and I couldn't be truly honest about how I felt because I was worried about their feelings. It just became a mess. I'm not even sure that it's all resolved because I'm not sure that there's any real set list of rules for this. But I guess we try on a daily basis to just make sure that we don't take all our anger on those who care about us and they try to be mindful of our situation. And there's a tentative truce set up that will eventually become the working vocabulary for all those involved. At least that's the best to hope for. No one is ever going to say the perfect thing, unless they whip out index cards or rehearse it beforehand (and yes that has happened) so I learned to be a little more forgiving, although I really wish more people would be like, "what the hell?" or "damn, this sucks." It's a little more honest and a lot less trite.

1 comment:

Casey said...

In the spirit of putting a smile on your face and being the first to leave a comment, here's a story:

A little boy goes to the circus and is having a great time, enjoying all the typical circus entertainment. A group of clowns comes out and one of them grabs a microphone and says, "Would the person in row 3 seat 14 please stand up for a special prize" The boy realizes that he is in that seat and stands up with an excited smile. The spot light falls on him and the clown says "There's the horse's ass! Where is the horse?!" The crowd erupts with laughter and the boy is humiliated.

That night the boy decides to never be in that situation again so he devotes his life to witty comebacks. He studies and reads, practices and rehearses. He develops a vocabulary that makes peoples heads spin. Years later when he is a man, he has become the world's expert in snappy come-backs. He has a Phd in snappy come-backs and has written several important books on the subject. He has a clever comment for every conceivable situation imaginable.

One day he notices that the same circus has come to town and he decides to get his revenge. He goes to the circus and finds the exact same seat. Nothing has changed and the circus is doing the same tired acts. As he expects, the clowns come out and ask the person in row 3 seat 14 to stand up for a special prize. The man stands up with a self-satisfied grin. The spot light falls on him again and the clown says "There's the horse's ass! Where is the horse?!" The man pauses, shakes his finger at the clown and says, "fff ffuck you clown!."

The cliche/saying in our house (similar to "aloha!" in hawaii) is "fuck you clown".

Try it, you'll like it.