Monday, November 15, 2004

So that last entry was a bit of a downer, eh? I'm working on moving out of that darker stuff, even though cancer (past or present) doesn't really elicit many jokes. However, I do believe that there is humor to be found.

For instance, I went to my first real family party this past Saturday. Have I announced that my brother is an actor? Well, he is. He's very good and is getting quite a career going. He's been on Broadway (as a lead), off-Broadway, and t.v. Oh and a film on PAX. Anyway, we go to this party and here's the awkward part. There are some family members who really dropped off the face of the earth. I haven't heard from them since around January. So I think that when I show up, I definately throw them for a loop and they're all like, yeah, sorry I didn't call or send you a birthday card. But um, here's some cash! Don't be mad. And I'm like--alright. Money will buy me some new stuff to make me happy. Heh. Like one time I was in Sephora with my mother, and we ran into my father's best friend wife. Anyway, so she's there and gets so frazzled about seeing me. I'm trying to say hello and that I'm doing fine, just looking at some stuff and she's seriously gunning for the exit. Recognizing that I don't want to be the girl that makes everyone freakin' uncomfortable, I say "Oh, I really need to get some moisturzer" and walk away. She runs out and then runs back in and hands me $40. Here's the evil part--I was pretty much like, no no thanks this is fine but secrety was like, yay I don't have to pay for the moisturizer! Wahoo! But no, I don't like to take advantage of people's guilt. It's not good karma. And do I need all the good karma I can muster up. Those who are saintly can pass some on. Don't be selfish.

And here is when you know you've been talked about. I'm being introduced to my aunt and uncle's friends and here is how it goes:

Aunt/Uncle: Here is my niece and nephew
Friend: Oh, hello!
Aunt/Uncle: This is Terri.
Friend: Oh. OH! (head tilt) How are you? (Internal Monologue: Hey, she's alive! How come she doesn't look like those people on t.v. all pale and shadow-eyed.)
Anut/Uncle: And this is John.
Friend: (internal monologue: oh thank god. not sick. wait. famous!) HELLO. You're the actor.
Push Terri out of the way, clamp John on back and say: So what was it like to get naked with Lorraine Bracco (internal monologue: sigh of relief. naked women--definately much better than talking to sick girl about dying. Yikes--good thing they've got more than one kid or that would've been awkward).


So, um, yeah. That moment of recongition with their friends is always bizarre because you can tell that they just don't know what to say and fear that I'm going to be like, "Happy to be here for another day." or rant on about something having to do with appreciating life. Sorry, not going to do it. Most likely I'll bitch about the season the Giants are having. Or the excellent-ness of Desparate Housewives. I still know how to have regular conversation. Pick a topic, I definately have an opinion. Just steer away from politics--because on that you may not want to hear my loud, and lengthy opinion.

No comments: